Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Southwestern Salad


I've got a new yummy recipe for you!  Dave and I ate this all last week!  The directions are going to be kind of hard to explain because I don't like my salads "pre-mixed".  If I'm packing a salad for lunch I like to bring everything in separate containers and then put it all together once I'm at work.  Since I knew that's how I liked my lunch I made this meal accordingly.


First, make the dressing.  You will need:
1/2 cup mayo
2/3 cup greek yogurt
1/2 tbsp ranch seasoning
2 tbsp taco seasoning
The original recipe (which can be found here: Pearls, Handcuffs, and Happyhour ) called for equal parts ranch seasoning and taco seasoning but I'm not a fan of ranch.  You can alter it however you want.
Next, mix the following ingredients:
1-2 green peppers, chopped
1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed
1 can sweet corn
4 green onions, chopped


Here's where I get picky.  If you're normal and you don't mind everything being mixed together, here is where you would add the tomato to the mix.  I thought the tomato might make everything else turn really water and therefore soggy so I kept the tomato separate.  (the pic above is from one time when I was eating it so the tomato was in the mix)  So, if you're normal, now you would add in:
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup cilantro


Next add:
2 avacados
Once again, I didn't want to add all of the avocado to the mix because I knew this meal was going to make a lot of servings (I think it ended up making about 6 servings) and I didn't want to be eating brown avocados for my left over salad lunches.


Add your veggie mix to a bowl of mixed greens.


Add some chopped/shredded chicken.  I like to use a rotisserie chicken.


Then drizzle on your dressing!  Viola!


And here's another fun workout for ya!  Again, I found this on Pinterest but I modified it to fit my physical needs/time allotment.  First, I changed it from a timed (30 seconds) workout to a rep (20-25 reps) workout.  I'm not sure what a donkey kick is or a flutter kick so I just kind of picked out the ones I wanted to do.  This is how my workout turned out:

- 25 Squat Jumps
-25 Lunge Jumps (forward) (alternating)
-25 Deadlifts (hlding 12.5 pounds in each hand)
-25 Froggy Glute Lifts
-25 Lunge Jumps (lateral) (alternating)

I usual repeat this routine twice after I've already done my lifting for my legs.  You can just do this once or maybe try 3 rounds.  It's up to you!

Have fun!  :)

1 comment:

  1. This sounds absolutely amazing. I can not wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete