Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dinner and Dessert: 2 new recipes!


Why is the weekend over already?!? Is it just me or does it seem like this weekend flew by? I think it's just because I was so busy! I feel like I got a lot done. . . including a trying out a couple new recipes.

Here's one of the recipes. It's Ground Turkey with Potatoes and Spring Peas. I found it over at Skinnytaste.com

Start by mixing 1 large tomato, 3 cloves of garlic, and 1/2 cup of cilantro in your magic bullet (food processor, etc.)




















Then brown your ground turkey (about 20 oz.) over the stove top in a skillet. Add in your chopped scallions. I think the original recipe called for 4 scallions. I honestly didn't pay attention to that at all. I just used the whole bundle of scallions which was probably more like 7. Whoops! Between that and the extra cilantro (the original recipe only called for 1/4 cup) this dish was super flavorful and tasty!































Add in one 8 oz can of tomato sauce.















Then add in 2 medium potatoes, chopped.















Add in the sauce that we made at the beginning (the tomato, cilantro, and garlic).















Finish off by adding in 1 cup of peas, 1/2 cup water, cumin and salt, to taste. Turn heat down the medium/low and cover for around 30 minutes. Possibly longer depending on how you cut the potatoes. We thought it would only take about 25 minutes to cook but our potatoes were still not finished. We let it cook for an additional 5 - 8 minutes.

Don't hate me. . . I forgot to take a picture of the end product! I tend to do that alot! I think because I'm always so hungry and so antsy to try it that I just dive right in before I think to snap a pic! But it really didn't look all that different when it was finished!

Dave and I both really liked this meal! Dave said it was really flavorful and gave me a fist bump in between bites! Haha! Seriously though!

*This meal is about 4 servings.

Ok, onto the next recipe! Remember those yummy cookie dough balls from the other week? Well, I created a another version! I actually like these even more! They're so good!

So this version is Peanut Butter! :) I got the idea to do this from another recipe I made FOREVER ago! It was actually the first recipe I ever made on my own and it was way back in the summer after my senior year of High School. I was working at the YMCA and we would always have these pot luck lunches and I made these peanut butter and honey balls. I remember that I loved them and I have always wanted to try to find that recipe again but . . . no luck.

So anyway, between the previous post with the chocolate chip cookie dough balls and the vague memory of the peanut butter balls from about 10 years ago I came up with these babies. . .



















I always make a half batch just because my magic bullet is small. If you want to make more at a time just double the recipe. Start with a 1/3 cup oats, a 1/3 cup of walnuts, and 1/3 cup of peanuts. Blend together!















add an 1/8 of a cup of honey . . .















(these pics are so out of order!)

Here are some of the ingredients . . . anyway, back to the recipe . . .
















add 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract. I've been using the vanilla my sister brought back from Haiti! It is awesome! You can also add a dash of salt if you wish. Mix everything together and roll into balls.















And you're done! YUM! Here's a pic of the peanut butter balls next to the chocolate chip balls. Since the peanut butter balls are less chunky (maybe because there are no chips in in them?) it seems like they make a lot more than the others.















Here's a more close up pic so you can see the size comparison. Both recipes are great but I think I like the peanut butter kind just a wee bit more! They're good as both a dessert and a snack! I definitely recommend making these babies! :)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment