Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Penne, Pasta, Pine Nuts, Peppers, and Parmesan! Say that 5 times fast! :)

I'm not sure what's gotten into me but I've been feeling crafty lately. So I went to Michaels and Target and picked up a few things.  I'll do a few future blogs showing you the crafts with the beads and yarn but for now I will show you what the nail polish was for.


I ordered some earrings from Jewelmint (Jewelmint is kinda like another monthly subscription but kinda different.  Each month they come out with around 12 new pieces of jewelry.  Each month you pick which piece you want.  Each piece costs 29.99 and each piece is (supposedly) worth at least $90.  If you don't see a piece you don't like you can "skip the month" and your credit card will not be charged.)

Anyway, I ordered some earrings from Jewelmint and they were kind of bland.  I thought they would be a lot more fun if they were a different color.  I imagined wearing the earrings with jeans and a white t-shirt with some other jewelry in silver and turquoise.  So I picked up this Sally Hansen polish and went to work!


I put a piece of tape across the bottom of the triangle so I wouldn't get any polish on the silver part.  Here's a picture after one earring was painted.


And here is the bracelet (in the middle) that gave me the color inspiration.  Now sure why I put the other bracelet in the picture?  Just got carried away I guess?!


On to the recipe . . . 

This is a recipe Dave and I have made many, many times.  It's basically pasta, vegetables, nuts, and cheese!  Pretty simple . . . although there is a LOT of chopping involved.  So it's a little time consuming.  If your husband is home to help the preparation time goes way quicker ;)


Start by roasting some pine nuts over the stove top on low heat.  We usually put it on number 3 on the setting knob and just let them slowly roast the entire time we're cooking the pasta and chopping the veggies.


Chop up 1 medium (or 2 small) zucchini, 3 sweet peppers (I usually use a mix of red and yellow), a big handful or shitake mushrooms, and about 10 - 15 grape or cherry tomatoes. 


You'll need about 8 oz of pasta and prepare it as directed on package.  While the pasta is cooking, place some olive oil and a skillet set to medium heat.  Place the peppers and shitake mushrooms in the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes.  Along with the peppers and mushrooms you should also add onions to the skillet.  I'm not a huge onion fan so I usually don't add much at all.  You can add however much you want.


After 4 minutes add the zucchini and tomatoes and cook for an additional 4 minutes, or until soft.  Then add 2 cloves of garlic and stir for 1 minute.  Add salt and pepper to taste.


Once the pasta is finished drain it (reserve 1/4 cup of the water that the pasta was cooked in) and then place the noodles back into the pot.  Add the veggies to the pot.


Add a handful of chopped basil and stir it all together.  If the pasta seems dry at all you can add the water that you saved from cooking the pasta.

Now for the fun part . . .


Nuts!!!


And cheese!!!

The pine nuts and parmesan cheese totally make this meal!  Dave and I just top ours with however much nuts and cheese we want.  We don't measure it out.


You know I always forget to take a picture of the VERY final presentation.  Halfway through Dave's dinner I was like "Can I take a picture?"  So you'll have to pardon the hairy arm in this pic!  It's very good, but like I said, the nuts and cheese totally make the meal.  It's like and refreshing!  We usually get about 3 or 4 servings out of it.

I made a few changes to it but the original recipe came from here:

No comments:

Post a Comment