Monday, July 16, 2012

Spaghizza! (A Spaghetti/Pizza hybrid)

Hi there!  I've got a new recipe for you!  And it's super easy!  But before I get into that I wanted to show you a couple new foodie finds!

First is this gum from Extra.  I am not a gum chewer.  The only time I chew gum is when I'm at work after lunch.  I really don't want to be blowing some stinky breath into my patient's faces!  I actually bought this gum for my husband.  It just seemed like something he would like.  While he was chewing it I could smell a delicious root beer smell wafting (that's probably not a good work to use - it makes me think of a fart! haha!) from him and it smelled amazing!  So I tried it - yep, it's amazing!  It's root beer-ish and vanilla-y!  Yum!



Next are these new granola bars from Larabar.  I was not impressed :(  I saw that some girls got one of these in their birchboxes so I went on the hunt for them.  There are 4 flavors: Bananas Foster, Roasted Nut Roll, Apple Turnover, and Cherry Cobbler.  So far I've tried the Roasted Nut Roll and the Bananas Foster.  Neither of them impressed me.  I'm not really even in a hurry to try the others.  They weren't bad but they just didn't wow me!


So, onto the recipe!  It's part spaghetti, part pizza.  So I call it spaghizza (spa-geetza)!  I like to say that word.  Especially in an italian accent!  Anyway, I've made this a few times now and each time I use different vegetables.  In the past I've used only zucchini and one time I used zucchini and yellow squash.  This time I used zucchini and a green pepper.


Saute the veggies in a bit of olive oil just to soften them slightly.


Then pour in some marinara sauce of your choice.  I also add a little big of pepperoni.  You can use as much or as little as you like.


Add in just a tiny bit of cooked pasta.  I think there are about a total of 20 noodles in there.  So it's not much pasta.  I try to make the majority of the dish vegetables but with a tiny bit of other little extras.


Then add in a handful of parm cheese and stir it all together!  This made 4 servings.  It's quick and simple and somewhat healthy!


I don't think I've ever really gone into detail on this blog about how I typically eat.  It's pretty simple really.  When it comes to food that isn't whole/raw (like fruits and veggies), I just look at the ingredient list (I honestly don't pay much attention to the nutrition facts such as fat or calories) and make sure that I know what they are and I can pronounce them.  The picture above is of the marinara sauce I used for the spaghizza.  I know what all of those ingredients are besides citric acid (although I've heard of it) and calcium chloride.  So Knowing 12/14 of the ingredients is pretty darn good!  The reason I pay more attention to the ingredients rather than the nutrition information is because it is important to make sure you're not taking in any chemicals.  Chemicals and additives are added to SO much of our food!  And that's what makes us sick.  Plus, more than likely if the ingredients are all legit, the nutrition info is going to be good as well.

Just FYI:  I looked up citric acid and calcium chloride.  Citric Acid is a natural preservative/conservative and it's used to give foods an acidic or sour taste.  Calcium Chloride is a type of salt.

Hopefully that little tidbit was helpful and hopefully you'll try this recipe! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment